The Resource Department of Chemistry records, 1879-2010

Department of Chemistry records, 1879-2010

Label
Department of Chemistry records, 1879-2010
Title
Department of Chemistry records, 1879-2010
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
The records of the Chemistry Department include correspondence, department files, subject files, information on chemistry buildings, material about Alpha Chi Sigma, and material from the American Chemical Society. Correspondence includes letterpress correspondence from Robert C. Kedzie and Frank Kedzie. They include correspondence relating to the department, analysis of materials, sugar beets, and letters sent out asking for information and addresses of alumni. The letterpress books contain copies of outgoing correspondence only. The non-letterpress correspondence includes letters about the department as well as those to specific companies and one folder about sugar beets. Department files include course information, class notes, degrees granted, continuing education, inventories, laboratory manuals, department staff meeting minutes, publications of the department staff, statistics, and staff lists. Subject files contain pamphlets on chemistry topics, instruction manuals, and results of analysis. Building files contain materials about the planning and building of Kedzie Hall, its addition, and the new Chemistry building. There is also National Science Foundation grant information for buildings. Alpha Chi Sigma materials include a report of a 1933 chemistry show and biographical reports on notable chemists which are arranged chronological by year of birth, one of whom is Robert Kedzie. American Chemical Society files include correspondence, meeting minutes, information about meetings, and information about the MSU chapter. Faculty Meeting Minutes are minutes from campus-wide faculty meetings. They are restricted because they include decisions made about individual students. Photographs include images of Kedzie Hall including construction (interior and exterior shots), Chemistry Quonset huts, graduates students from 1959-1960, faculty and staff, a chemistry exhibit and an exhibit about Frank Kedzie. Electronic Resources include correspondence in the form of e-mail memos and attachments
Biographical or historical data
Chemistry classes have been offered at Michigan State University since the university was founded. It was originally named the Chemical Department, and later changed to Chemistry Department. It has been administered by several divisions and colleges; the division of Applied Science from 1920 to 1943, the College of Science and Arts from 1944 to 1962, and the College of Natural Science from 1963 to present. In 1871 the Chemical Laboratory was built. The Kedzie Chemical Laboratory was built in 1927 with an addition added in 1966. Then in 1963 a new Chemistry building was built on Shaw Lane to house the chemistry department.
Cataloging source
EEM
Location of other archival material
  • See Academic Senate records (UA 14.1) for other faculty meeting minutes.
  • Michigan State University Archives & Historical Collections.
Label
Department of Chemistry records, 1879-2010
Instantiates
Control code
122389926
Cumulative index finding aids
Finding aid available in 101 Conrad Hall.
Extent
12.8
Governing access note
Collection is open for research. Faculty Meeting Minutes are restricted
System control number
(OCoLC)122389926
Terms governing use
  • Permission to publish from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
  • Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
Type of unit
cubic ft.
Label
Department of Chemistry records, 1879-2010
Control code
122389926
Cumulative index finding aids
Finding aid available in 101 Conrad Hall.
Extent
12.8
Governing access note
Collection is open for research. Faculty Meeting Minutes are restricted
System control number
(OCoLC)122389926
Terms governing use
  • Permission to publish from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
  • Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
Type of unit
cubic ft.

Library Locations

    • Michigan State University LibraryBorrow it
      366 W. Circle Drive, East Lansing, MI, 48824, US
      42.731021 -84.483437

Library Links

Processing Feedback ...